What We Believe
What we believe as AME’s can be found in our 25 Articles of Religion. We believe:
1. That there is One God who is special to us in three ways, called Three Persons:
God the Father, who created us and everything that is.
God the Son, who came to us as Jesus to die for our sins and to rise from the dead so that we can live forever.
God the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost), the presence of God in our lives every day that helps us to do good things.
2. That Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God who came to save us.
3. That Jesus the Christ was Resurrected, or made to live again after His death, and that He returned to heaven until He comes again to judge the world.
4. That the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit doesn’t just make people shout and clap their hands in worship, but is always with us to lead us and guide us.
5. That the Scriptures of the Holy Bible tell us what we must do to please God.
6. That the Old Testament, the first part of the Bible is important because it teaches us that we can only please God when we believe in Jesus the Christ.
7. That we share in the Original Sin of Adam and Eve, cannot always choose to do right, and are saved only by our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
8. That we cannot by Free Will decide that we will never do wrong again.
9. That we are Saved when we:
Believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
Believe that we sometimes do wrong things (sins) that keep us from pleasing God.
Believe that Jesus died to save us from our sins and that Jesus will bless us if we ask Him to lead and guide us.
10. That we are saved by our faith and not by the good things that we do, for those good things are proof that the spirit of God lives in us.
11. That we cannot do more good than we need to do to be blessed and go to heaven.
12. That we sometimes sin even when we have been saved and believe in Jesus, but that if we ask God to forgive us and really meant it, God will forgive us and God’s spirit will help us to do more good things.
13. That the Church is not a building, but a group of people who come together to praise and serve the Lord.
14. That there is no such place as Purgatory, a place between heaven and hell where you go if you haven’t been good enough to go to heaven.
15. That the language of worship should always be understood by those who gather to worship.
16. That there are two Sacraments, or special things that Jesus taught us that we should do, Baptism and the Lord’s Supper, or Holy Communion.
17. That Baptism is a sign that those who love the Lord have had their sins washed away and have been filled with the Spirit of God. We can be Baptized in three ways - by having water sprinkled or poured on our heads or by being put into the water. The real Baptism comes not from the water but from the Spirit of God.
18. That The Lord’s Supper helps us remember by eating bread and drinking a beverage that the Body and Blood of Jesus were given for us to be saved.
19. That everyone who shares the Lord’s Supper shares in the Bread Beverage.
20. That we all have equal access to God in prayer, and that God hears all of our prayers equally.
21. That it is alright for ministers to be married.
22. That worship in the AME Church should be similar in every AME Church, but also should be made special by the special things that each church does, at the direction of the Holy Spirit.
23. That we should obey the laws of our nation, state, and community as long as they are fair, that we should work to change them if they are not fair.
24. That Jesus blesses all of us to have good things, but that we should share them with the Lord by giving to the church.
25. That it is alright to swear to tell the truth in court, but that we should never swear and make promises that we cannot keep.